Technology Use Policy
- All use of University network and computer resources, including e-mail accounts, may be monitored by the University at any time without notice.
- Only current applicants, enrolled students, faculty, staff, and authorized alumni are eligible to access University networks and computers. Individuals may be requested to present student identification or other University authorization. At no time shall any student, faculty or staff member assist unauthorized users in accessing University resources, networks or computers.
- Access to University network and computer resources is secured through the use of individual accounts and passwords. Passwords may be used only by the authorized user. Passwords or accounts should never be shared with anyone. Strayer University employees will never ask for a password. The account owner will be held responsible for all actions performed using the account, whether the actions were performed by the account owner or by another individual using the account.
- The University’s networks and computers may only be used for the educational-related objectives of the University and not for any other purposes. Unauthorized uses include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Use of the University’s network and computer resources to gain unauthorized access to the accounts of other University students, faculty, or staff or unauthorized access to computers and networks located outside of the University.
- Use of the University’s network and computer resources, including e-mail, to view, download or distribute obscene, offensive, threatening, harassing, intimidating or otherwise inappropriate material.
- Installing, or attempting to install, on any University network and computer resource, viruses, spyware (including password sniffing software), "Trojan horse" programs or other similarly destructive programs.
- Use of University network and computer resources to operate file sharing programs, including downloading of copyrighted materials.
- Use of the e-mail addresses of University faculty, students and staff for any unauthorized, non-educational purpose, especially the distribution of unsolicited commercial e-mail (i.e. "spam") or chain letters. Such e-mail addresses are privileged and confidential information and the University reserves the right to discard incoming mass mailings without notifying the sender or recipient and block all communications from sites or e-mail addresses with a known history of sending unsolicited mass mailings.
- Only authorized IT staff may install software and/or hardware on the University’s network and computer resources. At no time may students install, remove software from, or otherwise modify the configuration of a Strayer University computer or network resource.
- The University may provide Wi-Fi access to Strayer University network and computer resources for student personal devices while on Campus. The University’s physical LAN is for University-owned devices only. Under no circumstances should a student’s personal or other non-University-owned device be plugged into the University’s physical network.
- The University reserves the right, at any time and without notice, to limit bandwidth available to a Wi-Fi connection, limit access to internal and external resources available to personal devices connected via a Wi-Fi connection and/or outright block access to any network resource.
- Students are individually responsible for the content of postings they make in University-sponsored websites, discussion boards, chatrooms, and other forums. No one shall use the University’s computers or networks to transmit content that is defamatory, libelous, harassing, obscene, threatening or otherwise inappropriate or illegal.
- Strayer University ("Strayer" or "the University") prohibits the audio and/or video recording of classes, events, or people while on any Strayer University campus. The only exceptions to this policy are when approval is given in writing to a student or employee through either the ADA coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org), Office of Student Affairs (email@example.com), or the University's Legal Department (firstname.lastname@example.org). Any student or employee violating this policy may be subject to disciplinary action per the Code of Student Conduct or the Employee Handbook.
- Students are advised to use a Strayer email address or a private email account for purposes of communicating with University personnel. Without prior approval, students should not communicate with University personnel using an email address that is shared with any other user, family member, student or friend.
Violation of this policy may result in an immediate suspension or loss of computer or network privileges at the University and will also subject a student to disciplinary action, up to and including suspension and expulsion from the University. If appropriate, violations will also be reported to local or federal law enforcement agencies for prosecution.